Chat Chat Spring 2019
Audrey Richmond, Boise, Idaho
An acrostic is a poem or other form of writing in which the first letter, syllable or word of each line, paragraph or other recurring feature in the text spells out a word or a message.
The word comes from the French acrostiche from post-classical Latin acrostichis, from Koine Greekἀκροστιχίς, from Ancient Greek ἄκρος"highest, topmost" and στίχος "verse").
To create an acrostic, follow these five easy steps:
1. Decide what to write about.
2. Write your word down vertically.
3. Brainstorm words or phrases that describe your idea.
4. Place your brainstormed words or phrases on the lines that begin with the same letters.
5. Fill in the rest of the lines to create a poem.
Creating an Acrostic in Five Easy Steps
Now let me show you how to follow these steps.
The first step is to decide what you would like to write an acrostic poem about. I recommend you start by writing an acrostic based on your name or on your favorite thing, whatever that happens to be.
It doesn’t matter if your favorite thing is soccer, video games, chocolate, music, pizza, movies, or anything else. Audrey made one for Chatcolab!
A-attitude of positivity
T-the importance of friends
B-be kind to everyone